That could have been me or any of my friends.Didn’t this thought cross your mind, every time you read about the infamous Delhi gang rape incident, that shook us, disturbed us and enraged us.
Almost all of us, not out of choice, have taken that last local train or the last bus. We have taken autos and cabs after watching a late night show, haven’t we? The reason why the brutal gang rape of 23-year-old girl shook us so bad, because that could have happened to any one of us.
While policemen may have upped the ante post that barbaric incident, your safety is in your hand.
Here are a few tips:
1) Download smart apps into your phones so that you can send out messages to people when you are in danger.
2) Jot down phone numbers of nearest police stations and emergency services.
3) Keep a list of numbers of your close ones, relatives, friends so that you can call them up whenever you feel insecure
4) While alone, don’t park your car at the end of the road or a secluded place. Avoid carrying any valuable when alone
5) Don’t trust strangers. If someone just stopped you to ask for directions, help them, but be alert.
6) Always keep your hands free so that you can act fast if need be
7) Make sure to inform about your whereabouts to at least one person.
8) Keep your car’s window and door locked while driving. Be extra careful while at a signal
Smita Diwan a Television Journalist and Communication Specialist with an experience of 10 years in media and leading satellite channels started whatshelikes.in as a digital hub for women in India. Smita specialises in Lifestyle, Home Decor, Health, Food and Product reviews. When she is not working,she is researching or practising yoga! @SmitaDiwanhttps://www.instagram.com/smitadiwan/?hl=en