Diwali is the most exciting festival of all times. It signifies family, food, fun and festivities. The best part about Diwali is the preparation of delicious delicacies. This Diwali I am planning to make traditional Bengali recipe which not only looks stunning but tastes also amazing.
Lavan Latika Preparation time – 15 minutes Cooking time- 1-hour Yield- 22
Ingredients For Lavang Latika
For the outer cover
- 2 cups maida
- 4 tbsp melted ghee
- pinch of salt
For the sugar syrup
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
For the stuffing
- 300 gm mawa or khoya
- ½ cup dry fruit powder (almonds, cashew nuts, walnuts and pistachios)
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
Oil for deep frying
22 cloves to seal the pockets
Procedure For Bengali Style Lavang Latika
- In a wide bowl mix all cover ingredients, add a little water and knead the soft dough. Knead it for 5 minutes and cover with damp cloth. Keep it aside.
- For sugar syrup mix water and sugar in a wide pan cook till sugar dissolves completely.
- For stuffing add mawa in a nonstick pan stir continuously. Add dry fruit powder, sugar and cardamom powder roast till mixture become little dry. Let the mixture cool completely.
- Take kneaded dough knead it again lightly. Make the equal size of 22 balls.
- Take one ball roll it like small poori (not so thin or not too thick)
- Place a tbsp of filling in the centre of poori.
- Now fold one side of poori.
- Fold the second side of poori.
- Now bring the other two sides together and overlap it.
- Put the clove in the centre so that filling will not open while frying.
- Now deep fry till it becomes golden brown.
- Drop the lavang latikas inside the sugar syrup, let this soak in the sugar syrup for 5 minutes.
- Take it out from the syrup and arrange it on a plate.
- Repeat the procedure for remaining dough and stuffing
- It will stay fresh for 10 days.
Looking for the video of the same recipe. You can check out details Lavang Latika recipe here.
Bhakti D MBA in HR and Finance who found her love and passion in cooking and writing. She enjoys experimenting new recipes as much as enjoy playing with her son, she also brings her expertise as a parent and a qualified professional to WSL