Diwali is now a just few days far so let’s start off quick with this sweet delicacy to make the festivities and celebrations even sweeter — Kanavle or Layered Karanji. Its crispy and flaky crust which resembles like a puff pastry makes it divine in taste and you can make them in advance and can enjoy them even later on as they stay fresh and tasty.
Ingredients (For making 20 karanjis)
For outer cover-
● 2.5 cups maida
● 3 tbsp hot ghee
● Pinch of salt
● 3/4 cup milk
● 4 to 5 tbsp cornflour
● 4-5 tbsp ghee
● 1 and 1/2 cup roasted and grated dry coconut
● 3/4 cup sugar powder or as per the taste
● 2 tbsp sliced almonds, pistachios and cashews
● 1 tsp cardamom powder
● Ghee or oil for deep frying karanjis
1. Mix together cover ingredients, knead a medium consistency dough. Cover for 30 to 45 minutes.
2. Now mix together stuffing ingredients.
Add 1/2 tbsp of milk or cream, mix well. Keep it aside.
3. Take 4-5 tbsp ghee into a plate. Beat it with fingers for 2 minutes now add corn flour and mix well.
4. Now take the kneaded dough divide it into 3 parts. Roll it into 3 thin chapati separately one by one. You can also make one coloured portion adding 2 drops of red colour into the dough.
5. Take the one chapati apply some spread , now place the second chapati on first chapati apply spread again, lastly place third chapati on second chapati apply spread evenly.
6. Make a tight roll, cut the roll and make 1 inch pieces
7. Keep the layered side up , press and roll with a rolling pin. Put 1 to 2 tbsp stuffing material at the center seal both the sides and trim with a karanji cutter.
8. Heat ghee into a kadai fry karanjis over medium heat.
Absolutely delicious and flaky and layered Karanji is ready to be served. Make them on any festive occasion such as Deepavali (Diwali) and Holi and share them with your friends and relative, Trust us, they will love the taste and texture of these yummy Maharashtrian style Gujiyas.
Bhakti D MBA in HR and Finance who found her love and passion in cooking and writing. She enjoys experimenting new recipes as much as enjoy playing with her son, she also brings her expertise as a parent and a qualified professional to WSL