This is an instant pickle and it can’t stay for long time as it is made from early raw mangoes. It’s a tastemaker to any of your snacks or main course. It goes very well with Paratha, Upama, Poha, but my favourite combination is with plain rice.
I remember during my childhood we used to eat this pickle with every snack and meal, today we see this recipe is almost vanishing and so I decided to revive my grandmom’s recipe in my kitchen.
- 5 medium sized raw mangoes
- 1 1/2 tbsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tbsp mustard seeds
- A pinch of asafoetida
- tbsp of oil for roasting
- 2 tbsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp jaggery
- 1 tbsp salt
- Wash the raw mangoes properly, peel the skin and chop into small pieces.
- Add half tbsp oil in Kadai lightly roast fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, mustard seeds and asafoetida.
- Let them cool for 5 minutes. now grind the roasted masala along with turmeric, salt and red chilli powder.
- Add roasted and grinded masala into chopped raw mangoes.
- Add jaggery and mix well with a hand.
- Now temper the mixture with 3 tbsp hot oil and mustard and cumin seeds.
- Mix well. store in airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Finish it within 8 days
Bhakti D MBA in HR and Finance who found her love and passion in cooking and writing. She enjoys experimenting new recipes as much as enjoy playing with her son, she also brings her expertise as a parent and a qualified professional to WSL