Monsoon, the season of rains, cold breeze, lightning and thunder. Monsoon provides us with the much awaited relief from the summer heat. With Monsoons, the thirst of the land is quenched and so are all our water related needs taken care of.
However, with the monsoons comes also the risk of waterborne diseases and infections.
Precautions to be taken during Monsoons:
1. Drink water that has been properly purified. During the monsoon, waterborne diseases like diarrhea and stomach infections are pretty common. Drinking water that is properly purified or boiled, reduces the chances of contracting a waterborne disease. Avoid tap water. When outside, drink Packaged mineral water.
2. Avoid walking in the dirty water during the rains. The dirty water is a breeding ground for various viral and bacterial infections. Keep your shoes and socks clean.
3. Carry a raincoat or an umbrella to protect yourself from getting wet in the rains.
4. If you get wet in the rains, wash your hands and legs when you reach your destination. Change your clothes as quickly as possible.
5. Use a mild antiseptic like Savlon or Dettol to use while bathing or to wash or bruises in the rains. It will help you minimize the chances of contracting an infection.
6. For those of you who are asthmatics, avoid wet walls. Most wet walls promote the growth of fungus which is a trigger for asthma.
7. If your hair gets wet in the rain, do not enter into an air conditioned room. It will increase your chances of catching a cold.
8. Avoid eating uncooked food and leafy vegetables and fruits. During the rainy season, the chances of germs and infections spreading are higher. Cooking food properly destroys these germs.
9. Do not take any medications during the rainy season indiscriminately.Else, your immunity would decrease and the chances of contracting an infection increases.
So enjoy the rains and have fun! Simple precautions will take you a long way in having a safe and enjoyable monsoon. Happy Monsoons!!!
Bhakti D MBA in HR and Finance who found her love and passion in cooking and writing. She enjoys experimenting new recipes as much as enjoy playing with her son, she also brings her expertise as a parent and a qualified professional to WSL