It’s that time of the year when we all need a break…the sultry month of July, fresh rains and the smell of your favorite brew tempt you to take a vacation and enjoy the season with your loved ones. The word “Holiday” itself brings excitement and lights up our eyes…..quality time spent with your loved ones is the most delightful treat you can gift yourself any time of the year. However, accept it or not, the biggest fear at the back of our excited mind is the weight we will pile up by the end of our fun fiesta. Losing your waistline and not fitting into your favorite denims is not only depressing but also haunting somewhere within! Here’s how you can follow a simple guideline and keep your figure intact.
Your 3 steps to maintain flat abs post an awesome vacation are –
Step 1 – Pack Smart
Whether it’s holiday or work, the theory is the same, make convenience available to you and you will end up using it.
1. Carry your workout gear- Your fancy and comfort footwear is on priority list, but your keds will do the job of making you look and feel good in anything you wear. Space and weight is the common excuse but the smart ones know their worth 😉
2. Your favorite healthy dry snacks to munch on.
3. Vitamins and Whey protein as prescribed for your chart.
4. Take your travel diet from your Health Advisor before you leave, it will be a great guideline.
Step 2- Start your day
1. Plan your exercise schedule, an early morning run is the best bet which you may never miss. Anywhere between 20 -40 mins will suffice you on an active holiday.
2. Choose a healthy breakfast – eggs and cereals are available worldwide. Order your eggs your favorite style or choose low fat cereals with skim milk. Pick a fruit to carry with you.
3. Always keep your travel bag ready to go with you, packed with your fruit, dry snacks, water and supplements.
Step 3 – On the Go
Was pretty simple till here, we managed fairly well, the real challenge is after we have left our hotel…choose sensibly!
1. Mid- morning snack on your fruit you just tucked into your bag.
2. For Lunch, choose steamed foods or whole wheat pastas / sandwiches, fewer high fibre carbs will avoid drowsiness. Don’t forget your veggies, they work wonders to keep you full whole day.
3. Drink plenty of water and refill it wherever you get a chance, dehydration is so common on a vacation and we mostly end up eating extra when all our body needs is H2O.
4. Time for Coffee, the biggest cheat meal happens here ….choose the low fat variants, nothing can beat Green Tea though! Your dry snacks are in the bag, , munch smart…spare your waistline and money.
5. Early dinner is the best way to go…a healthy soup or salad to begin with is the choice of the wise. Salted Lime Juice could replace on a hot day! A glass of wine for the avid drinkers would go well with grilled white meats or veggies.
Voila! You have had a very successful day ….it wasn’t so tough after all, your travel schedule is ready to go with. Your timings can be flexible as per your day’s events , only your choices should be right. Now return with your shape intact, mind rejuvenated and soul happy and satisfied, your healthy vacation was indeed refreshing!
Stay Healthy on the Go!
Article is written by Tripti Gupta a lifestyle nutrition consultant with sixteen years of experience in the field of Dietetics and Nutrition. Tripti has her expertise in designing and implementing fat loss, muscle gain and high energy level programs supported with ideal supplementation.
Smita Diwan a Television Journalist and Communication Specialist with an experience of 10 years in media and leading satellite channels started whatshelikes.in as a digital hub for women in India. Smita specialises in Lifestyle, Home Decor, Health, Food and Product reviews. When she is not working,she is researching or practising yoga! @SmitaDiwan