Ganesh Chaturthi, the spectacular festival that honors the birth of the beloved elephant-headed god, Lord Ganesha is here. The Ganesh pooja is always incomplete without the presence of his favorite sweet, Modak. As the city is preparing to make the best of the iconic festival with delicacies and savories of every kind, the humble Modak is crafted to achieve a contemporary twist.
By introducing the new flavors like peanut butter and chocolate, peppermint, cashew saffron etc, we can give all new face to the traditional Modak entwined with a gourmet experience. It’s just not Modak’s, but all contemporary Indian sweets like Sahi Tukda, Gulkand Panna Kota are also getting this luxe touch. So celebrate this year’s Ganesh Chaturthi by serving your guest the traditional dishes with a gourmet experience.
1. 2 Cups Ricotta Cheese
2. 1 Cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
3. ½ Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
4. 1 Tablespoon Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
5. 2 Teaspoon Peppermint Essence
6. Modak Moulds
- Heat up a heavy bottomed pan till it is at medium heat.
- Add the ricotta cheese and cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring constantly.
- As the ricotta cheese starts thickening, add the condensed milk to the pan.
- Cook the mixture for an additional 4-5 minutes stirring constantly.
- Add the chocolate chips, cocoa powder and peppermint essence and immediately turn off the heat.
- Stir well to ensure all the ingredients are mixed evenly and properly and the chocolate chips have melted.
- Set aside and allow cooling till the mixture becomes cool enough to touch
- Once cooled, stuff the mixture into the modak moulds and refrigerate for some time till the moulds are set. An hour to a few hours will be fine.
- Once set, remove from moulds and serve.
Some useful tips:
- In case you are not able to find ricotta cheese at your local store you can just as easily use regular store bought khoya.
- Instead of using modak moulds, you can try to shape the mixture to look like a modak or simply shape it into small balls and serve them like pedas!
- Recipe is shared by Silverspoon Gourmet the exclusive experiential gourmet destination in Mumbai
Priyanka comes from the land of best beaches, majestic scenery and the quintessential Southern California. Masters in Engineering and mother of two, she believes that education give us way of life to live and family gives Liveness.