Diwali is celebrated across India and each state or region adds its own touch to this festival. Every region has diwali-specific delicacies. Here’s a speak peak into what delicacies Rajasthanis eat during diwali.
As Rajasthan is a desert region, vegetables are not found in abundance here, so gatta is the best option to add to the pulao. Green peas added to the pulao makes this dish delicious. In terms of prep time, it is little time consuming, but is great for parties or get together.
- For Gatta
- 1 cup besan, ½ tbsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste, 2 tbsp curd
- ½ tbsp red chili powder
- ¼ tbsp cumin seeds
- ½ tbsp Fennel seeds and carom seeds
- ½ tbsp ginger paste
- Pinch of sugar and soda
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
- Oil for deep fry
- 1 ½ cup Basmati Rice, ½ cup boiled green peas
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds, ½ tbsp mustard seeds
- ¼ tbsp asafoetida,2 Bay leaves
- 2 green cardamom, cloves, black pepper
- 1 tbsp chili powder, 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp Everest pulao masala, Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves chopped
- 4 tbsp pure ghee, 4 Cardamom,Cinnamom & raisins
- Mix all the ingredients of gatta and knead soft dough adding a little water.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal cylindrical roll.
- Boil plenty of water into nonstick pan, add gatta into boiled water, and cook for 15 minutes.
- When it cooked, drain the gatta and keep aside.
- Cut the Gatta in to small pieces and deep fry.
Heat the ghee in large pot add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, bay leaf, cloves, cardamom, black pepper, asafoetida and ginger paste sauté for 2 minutes. Add red chili powder, turmeric powder, salt and Everest pulao masala stir for another 2 minutes. Add 3 cups of boiled water and washed rice, when rice is half cooked add boiled green peas and gattas. Cook well garnish with cardamom,raisins and cinnamon.
Bhakti D MBA in HR and Finance who found her love and passion in cooking and writing. She enjoys experimenting new recipes as much as enjoy playing with her son, she also brings her expertise as a parent and a qualified professional to WSL