Dussehra is here, and so is the season of sweet delicacies. And unarguably, Sevai Kheer form an indispensable part of these festivities, adding the sweetness to our lives. Sevai kheer or the Vermicellie kheer is one quick dessert that is specifically made on festivals and other occasions, however this sevai recipe is such that you wouldn’t resist making it on other days just to indulge in some post-meal dessert. You can have it after your fast in navratri and savour the taste full. It is something one can’t do without and simply can’t get enough of. The seviyan kheer knowns as Payasam in southern India and Shevayee Kheer in Maharashtra obviously have no intoxicants. Unlike religions and people, it has no boundaries and brings people together.
● 1 cup sevai
● 1 tbsp ghee
● 1 ltr milk
● 1/2 cup sugar
● 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
● Few saffron strands
● Chopped dry fruits
1. Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a heavy bottom pan or kadai, add the broken sevai stir continuously and roast sevai on the medium flame. Roast till sevai turn golden brown.
2. Transfer the roasted sevai in a steel plate. Keep it aside.
3. Now pour milk in the same kadai. Boil milk till bubble comes out, now add the roasted sevai. Mix well sevai and milk, there should not be lumps.
4. Now add the sugar, dry fruits, saffron strands and cardamom powder.
5. Cook the kheer for 10 minutes more till the sevai gets cooked and milk thickens.when the sevai has softened and cooked well, the kheer will also thicken and looks creamy.mi
6. Switch off the flame and serve hot!! Kheer will more thicken after cooling down .
Note : You can also use 1/2 milk and 200 gm condensed milk instead of 1 ltr milk. Skip the sugar if using condensed milk. Using condensed milk will make kheer more creamy and thick. Add the condensed milk into a plain milk and follow the same recipe.
Make this dessert in this festive season and share love with your close ones!
At Whatshelikes, we keep the millennial woman updated with everything that’s happening around her be it fashion & lifestyle, health, events, movie reviews to name a few. We consistently strive to bring a gamut of authentic content from all across the country at just a click.