Ganapati celebrations are in full swing in my house. I and my mother -in -law love to prepare Modaks for our Bappa. Ukdiche modaks have ruled our palate for so many years and we love them so much. But it’s time we give a little twist to our traditional recipe and add new flavors to it. I have listed 5 of my favorite modak recipe which you must try this Ganesh Chaturthi 🙂 Here is a pic of our Bappa!
Bounty chocolate Modak
Desiccated coconut 2 cup, condensed milk 4 tbsp, sugar powder 2 tbsp, vanilla essence 1/2 tsp, melted dark chocolate 1 cup.
(1) In a medium-sized bowl mix desiccated coconut, condensed milk, sugar powder and vanilla essence
(2) Grease the plate with butter or ghee, pour Mixture into the plate, flatten it with Palm and refrigerate for half an hour
(3) Remove mixture from the refrigerator make modak shape and deep it into the melted dark chocolate.
(4) Repeat the process, now place all modak into the plate and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Grated mawa 2 cup
Gulkand 3 tbsp
Sugar 4 tbsp
Red rose petals 5-10 (optional)
Edible pink color 2 drops(optional)
(1) Dry roast mawa for 2 minutes
(2) Now add sugar and roast again till mixture become thick
(3) Now add gulkand turn off the Flame
(4) Add crushed rose petals and color
(5) Let the mixture cool. Make modak shape .
Puran Poli stuffing (puran) 1 cup for modak stuffing
For outer cover: kneaded wheat dough
Oil for deep fry modak
Ghee for serving.
(1) Roll out a lemon sized ball of the dough into a thin 8 inch circle
(2) Fill about a tsp of the puran stuffing at the centre of each circle
(3) Bring the edges together and seal by pinching the dough at the tip
(4) Deep fry on low heat till golden brown
(5) pour ghee and serve hot.
Fresh crumbled paneer 1/2 cup
1/2 cup milk powder
1/2 cup whole milk
1 tsp cardamom powder
Few saffron strands
2 tbsp ghee, 1/2 cup sugar.
(1) In a thick pan add paneer, milk powder, milk, saffron strands and cardamom powder. Stir continuously on low heat for 5 second
(2) Now add 2 tbsp of ghee and sugar continue stirring for 4 minutes or till mixture becomes little thick
(3) Turn off the Flame and refrigerate the mixture for half an hour
(4) Remove the mixture from refrigerator, make the modak shape using modak mould.
(Homemade paneer tastes good than market paneer: boil half litre whole milk, add tbsp of lemon juice, boil for 1 minute, strain water and separate paneer)
Besan 1 cup
Powdered sugar 3/4 cup
Ghee 1/2 cup
Cardamom powder 1/2 tsp,
Crushed cashew nuts 2 tbsp.
(1) In a thick bottom, Kadai dry roast Besan for 1 minute
(2) Add ghee and roast it again for 8 minutes or till mixture becomes golden brown
(3) Add sugar powder, cardamom powder and crushed cashew nuts, mix all ingredients evenly. You can add 2-3 tbsp of ghee if mixture becomes very dry
(4) make modak shape using modak mould.
Dates and dry fruit modak
Black seedless dates chopped 1 cup
Half cup dry fruits
2 tbsp ghee.
(1) In a heavy bottom, pan add 1 tbsp of ghee, add chopped dates roast it for 5 minutes on low Flame
(2) remove roasted dates into the empty plate
(3) Roast dry fruits for two minutes in a grinder coarsely grind dry fruits
(4) Now add roasted dates and grind coarsely
(5) Add tbsp of ghee and mix thoroughly all ingredients
(6) Make modak shape
Bhakti D MBA in HR and Finance who found her love and passion in cooking and writing. She enjoys experimenting new recipes as much as enjoy playing with her son, she also brings her expertise as a parent and a qualified professional to WSL